Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fukushima Timeline March 15, 2011

(Reuters) - Two workers are missing ... they were in the turbine area of the No.4 reactor at the Fukushima nuclear plant, which was damaged by last Friday's earthquake and tsunami.

...there was a crack in the roof of the reactor building.

Map shows tan plume 4:00-12:00 cruising by Tokyo
Map shows red plume creating dark red northwest patch 18:00-25:00 after midnight
It appears that the wind was blowing in a northwesterly direction when the largest on-shore releases occurred. These releases apparently occurred on March 15.7

March 15, four days after the accident, an additional 354,000 people living between 20 and 30 kilometers of the plant were advised to stay indoors to reduce exposure to radiation (Japanese government,
Timeline: Well it was the starkest language that we've heard yet from the government. What emerged that we didn't know was that there had also been an explosion and a fire in reactor 4 at Fukushima. Number 4 had an explosion as well and then a fire which is what was revealed in that press conference. Yes, number 4 was not in operation at the time of the earthquake. There were no active fuel rods in there but there is spent fuel. Now the fire apparently started through a similar hydrogen explosion that we saw in number 1 and 3 and that the chief cabinet secretary said that they have assumed that some radioactive substances are being released as a result of that explosion and fire at number 4. "Explosion at No 4 Fukushima reactor" Pictures of Reactors 4 and 3 upclose after explosions - I captured off Live Japan News Shows shattered Reactor 4 building. SPENT FUEL STORAGE POND ON FIRE AT REACTOR 4
Fukushima Nuclear Accident Update Log Updates of 7 April 2011 Tue Mar-15-11 05:27 AM Response to Reply #8 13. Fire confirmed Japan Earthquake Update (15 March 2011, 06:15 CET) Japanese authorities informed the IAEA that there has been an explosion at the Unit 2 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi plant. The explosion occurred at around 06:20 on 15 March local Japan time. Japanese authorities also today informed the IAEA at 04:50 CET that the spent fuel storage pond at the Unit 4 reactor of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant is on fire and radioactivity is being released directly into the atmosphere. Dose rates of up to 400 millisievert per hour have been reported at the site. The Japanese authorities are saying that there is a possibility that the fire was caused by a hydrogen explosion.
divvy (547 posts) Tue Mar-15-11 07:13 PM explosions are not good Reports of explosions are not good... No kidding. The zircolloy reaction of clad melting gives off a lot of hydrogen, which can accumulate in the top of the reactor vessel. Such a bubble of explosive gasses is very dangerous. Large scale fuel failure is probably happening at multiple plants. My guess is that the explosions are from hydrogen vented from the vessel. That is a sign of fuel clad "melting." Core melting doesn't necessarily mean that the worst case scenario will result... It didn't at TMI. As long as they can prevent reactor vessel failure, the impact on the general public can be minimized. I know the GE Mark I plant had design provisions for pumping seawater into the reactor... I don't know if the other plant designs did. I haven't heard what resources are being brought in to help plant personnel. They need help... Not just advice! What is being done to restore power to these stricken plants? ... And when will they have it? No plant, even one originally in cold shutdown, can operate indefinitely without AC power. I guess I am frustrated to hear of casualties... People can't go into primary containment under these circumstances. Venting should be to primary containment, which could then be vented through a standby gas treatment system in the RX building, if there is AC power to run it. That could be where the hydrogen explosion occurred. The system has a heater that wouldn't be good with an explosive mix of hydrogen. PWRs actually have glow plugs or some type of heaters to burn hydrogen inside their much larger containments. BWRs don't have these systems. The Mark I containment could not accommodate open flames... too small.
  • five workers died since quake
  • 22 workers injured
  • two missing (later found killed by tsunami and quake)
  • one hospitalized grasping chest unable to stand
  • another treated after blast of radiation near reactor
  • 11 injured in #3 hydrogen explosion (not counting 7 killed nearby)
  • normal crew is 10-12 people per reactor
  • only 50 left onsite, there were 750 emergency people on site.
  • 28 died from radiation exposure at Chernobyl within 3 months, 19 by infections from radiation skin burns, 106 developed radiation sickness
  • two of the medical evacuees died in the early hours of March 15. The principal even appealed for assistance on a local FM radio station, saying, "Help us!" At the time, about 90 patients and four hospital workers as well as police officers and Self-Defense Forces (SDF) members were at the hospital. The crisis at the nuclear plant was only growing worse, and a GSDF rescue team never came to rescue them. Following an explosion at the nuclear plant, SDF members remaining at the hospital left there after telling staff, "We must go back." At around 1 a.m. on March 15, police officers urged hospital staff to evacuate, saying, "You have no choice but to leave here." In response

No comments:

Post a Comment